Manufacturer approval is to assess and approve a manufacturing works, to ensure the works have enough capability to maintain such quality of its products as required by Rules for the Classification and Construction of Seagoing Ships, and other rules of BKI.
Some materials and products are required by Rules for the Classification and Construction of Seagoing Ships and other rules of BKI before they can be installed on ships must have a certificate of approval or are made by a manufacturer with an approval certificate.
There are 5 types of approvals that can be given:
1. Manufacturing Process Approval
Approval of manufacturing process is, on condition that the uniform quality of the products can be assured, to certify for the manufacturers that the manufacturing process complies with the requirements in the Rules and/or the relevant standards, where deemed satisfactory by BKI as results of carrying out the examination, tests and inspections specified in the Guidance prior to commencement of production and test of the product.
2. Type Approval
Type approval is to certify for the manufacturers of the materials and equipment that the materials and equipment comply with the provisions for the type approved products in the Guidance, where deemed satisfactory by BKI as the results of carrying out the examination, tests and inspection specified in the Guidance before installation on board.
3. Design Approval
Design approval is to certify for the manufacturers that the drawings and documents specifying the particulars, construction, dimensions and materials of equipment for marine use may be dealt with as the standard design by conducting the approval of these drawings in advance, based on the requirements in Part 1 of Seagoing Ship Rules and other technical rules
4. Approval of Quality Assurance System
Approval of a quality assurance system is to certify for the manufacturers that their quality system complies with the requirements in the Guidance, where deemed satisfactory by BKI as the result of carrying out the plant audit.
5. Manufacturer Approval
Manufacturer approval is to certify for the manufacturers that their manufacturing process and quality system for the manufacturers of products (paints, fire protection materials, etc.) which are type approved but not subject to individual product inspection complies with the requirements in the Guidance, where deemed satisfactory by BKI as the result of carrying out the plant audit.
Documents to be prepared and submitted to BKI for the purpose of obtaining approval are as follows:
1. Outline of the works intended to be approved (location, history, organization diagram, number of employees, main products, standard production output, etc.)
2. Summary of main manufacturing facilities and equipments
3. List of testing and inspection equipments
4. Quality manual and its supplementary documents (e.g. procedure, work instruction, form records etc.)
5. Quality plan for each product showing the production flow including quality control process on each manufacturing stage
6. Copy of approval certificate from other classfication societies (if any)
7. Outline of the products
The procedure for obtaining the approval certificate is as follows:
1. Submit the application form and required documents
2. Documents examination
3. Factory assessment and product testing
4. Issuance of approval certificate
Send the application form and required documents to email@example.com or BKI branch office.
A more detailed description of the manufacturer's approval can be seen and read in the Rules for Approval of Manufacturers and Service Suppliers (Part 1, Vol. XI) and Guidance for The Approval and Type Approval of Materials and Equipment for Marine Use (Part 1, Vol. W). The Rules and Guidance can be downloaded for free from BKI website.
Application form :
Application form of Request for Approved Manufacturer
Material & Component Certification
Material & component certification is a certification conducted on materials and or components before the material and or component can be installed on the vessels classed by BKI.
The certification procedures of materials and components are as follows:
1. Submit the application for certification of materials / components to the nearest BKI branch office. Submit the drawings of components for review or approval
2. Conducting material and or component tests
3. Issuance of material or component certificates.
Send the application form and drawings to the nearest BKI branch office.
Application form :
Application form of Request for Material & Component Certification