Maritime Labour Convention 2006, developed by International Labour Organization ILO), ILO is often referred to as the fourth pillar of International Maritime Law along with : SOLAS 1974, STCW 1978 and MARPOL 73/78.
MLC 2006 was the result of tripartite negotiations by representatives of gevernments, employers and workers. THe Convention provides a comprehensive rights and protection at work for seafarers in the world and aims to achieve decent work arrangements for seafarer, and securing economic interests in fair competition for ship owners.
The main part of MLC, 2006 (Regulation and Code) are grouped into five main section called 'Title'.
This Convension doesn't apply to:
|●||Ships engaged in fishing or in similar pursuits,|
|●||Ships of traditional build,|
|●||Warship or naval auxiliary, or|
|●||Ships not engaged in commercial activities.|
Matters that must be checked and found as the fulfillment of national rules in the application of MLC requirements:
- Minimum age
- Medical certificate
- Seafarer’s qualification
- Seafarer’s employment agreement
- Use of licensed, certified or regulated seafarer recruitment and placement services
- Hours of work or hours of rest
- Manning level
- Recreational facility onboard
- Food and catering
- Health and safety and accident prevention
- Medical care onboard
- Complaint procedure onboard
- Wages payment
In relation to the importance of implementing the MLC, 2006, BKI provides consultancy, inspection and certification of the implementation of the MLC, 2006. For countries who has ratified MLC (Maritime Labor Convention), an MLC Certificate will be issued according to the authorization given to BKI by Flag States. For others, BKI may issue a Statement Of Compliance (SOC) for MLC.
Here are procedures for issuance of MLC Certificates / Statement of Compliance (SoC) MLC and approval of DMLC Part II Manual:
DMLC Part II Approval
1. Shipowner sends application of DMLC Part II approval and the manual to BKI.
2 .BKI will send approval fee form to be approved by shipowner before commencement of work.
3. BKI will verify compliance with DMLC Part II with the relevant regulation.
4. If revision is required, BKI will inform the owner to revise accordingly.
5. Once the manual has been verified to have comply with the convention, BKI will approve the DMLC Part II.
Issuance of MLC / SOC MLC
1. Shipowner sends application for issuance of MLC Certificate / Statement of Compliance (SOC) MLC (either for interim and / Initial).
2. MLC Certificate / SOC application will be processed once DMLC Part II has been approved by BKI.
3. BKI will send approval fee form to be approved by shipowner before commencement of work.
4. BKI will verify compliance with DMLC Part II and MLC, onboard ships .
5. MLC Certificate / SOC will be issued once the ship has been verified compliance with MLC requirements.